St. Joseph’s College, Colombo 10, captained by Lushane de Silva emerged champions at the Under-15 All Island ‘Samaposha’ Soccer Championships held recently, beating Al Aqsa College, Kinniya 2-0, in the final played at the Sir Albert Peiris Stadium, Wennappuwa.
After qualifying for the final round, St. Joseph’s College beat St. Henry’s College, Illavali 5-2, in the pre-quarter final, Samanthurai Muslim MV 3-1 in the quarter final, St. Sebastian’s College, Katuneriya 3- 2 in the semi dinal, and finally Al Aqsa College, in a nail biting final.
Josephian striker, Shenal Sandesh was adjudged the Player of the Tournament and scored goals in all the matches of the tournament, whilst the brilliant Josephian goal keeper Manish Perera was adjudged the Best Goal Keeper of the Tournament.
St. Joseph’s College last won an All Island Under-15 Soccer title under Jerome Ambrose when Chaminda Dodanwela netted the winning goal against St. Anthony’s College, Wattala, at the Henry Pedris Stadium in 1987. Jerome Ambrose’s team also won the Brazil Cup in the Under-19 age group.
- The Jewel in the South Asian Music Crown belongs to Mother Lanka - July 31, 2018
- CEYLOVE: The Renaissance of Sri Lankan Cuisine! - July 31, 2018
- Bully & Co: Explosive ammunition to fight the Corporate Bully - July 31, 2018
- The Unstoppable Supernova Kishu Gomes - July 31, 2018
- Waste receives a facelift - May 18, 2018